Time really flies! The Mid-Autumn Festival (中秋节) is around the corner. It had been a Chinese tradition to celebrate this festival together gazing at the full moon at night, savouring good traditional food like mooncakes, groundnuts, pomelo, yam and many more with a pot of hot Chinese tea.
The kids will enjoy playing paper lanterns or lighting candles around their house or neighbourhood. At the same time, the adults will be bonding with each other while savouring good food.
The memory of how my family enjoyed the Pandan (screwpine) Jelly Mooncake during last year Mid-Autumn Festival was indeed a fruitful moment for me. Thus, it is a pleasure to make jelly mooncake again this year for this special event.
I would like to share the coffee jelly mooncake this time especially for the coffee lovers. The taste and aroma of the coffee are simply awesome, need not to say when it is chilled. I have added few pieces of peaches to resemble the “egg yolk” of the original moon cake! It adds on some colour to the jelly mooncake too.
This recipe is versatile; you may create your own concoction by tweeting the ingredients. Do give it a try, be creative and surprise your family this coming Mid-Autumn Festival!
Makes 6 jelly mooncakes
2 Jelly mooncake moulds (Diameter around 8 cm)
6 round plastic containers (Diameter around 6.5 cm)
Filling recipe adapted from Lite Home Bake
Ingredients for Filling:
25g castor sugar
1.5 tsps jelly powder (agar-agar powder)
70ml fresh milk
55ml evaporated milk
Few pieces of canned peaches
- In a pot, add water, castor sugar and jelly powder. Mix well. Bring to a boil until sugar is dissolved.
- Lower the fire; add in fresh milk and evaporated milk. Simmer for a while. Off the fire.
- Place few pieces of peaches in 6 round plastic containers. Pour in the jelly mixture. The filling’s height should be around 2 cm (adjust accordingly to suit your jelly mooncake moulds).
- Leave it to cool, and then chill in the fridge until further use.
Ingredients for Skin:
2.5 tsps jelly powder (agar-agar powder)
500ml coffee (make your own preferred coffee with milk)
75g castor sugar
- Prepare coffee and set aside.
- In a pot, add coffee, castor sugar and jelly powder. Mix well. Bring to a boil and stirring in low fire until sugar is dissolved. Off the fire. Cool it a little.
- Pour a thin layer of the coffee jelly mixture into the mooncake moulds, approximately 0.5 cm. Leave it for a while until it is half set. (Do not wait too long)
- Remove the filling from container, put the filling in the middle on top of the thin layer. Pour in coffee jelly mixture until the mould is full. Repeat with the rest.
- Leave the jelly mooncakes to cool, chill it in the fridge for at least 6 hours or overnight. Remove the jelly from the moulds and enjoy!