Search Bits of Taste recipes

Friday, March 13, 2009

Tomato Rice

Photobucket

Tomato rice is so appetizing when you dine in a Mamak (Indian Muslim) restaurant serve with your choice of curry, such as Kurma Chicken Curry, mutton curry or beef rendang. We loves tomato rice serve with cashew nuts, the flavour of both brings out the exotic taste and delicious touch.
I wanted to cook tomato rice myself for a long time. So, last weekend I finally give it a try. It was indeed quite simple and easy to cook by using rice cooker. It saves a lot of cooking time too especially we are in a rush preparing lunch for the whole family.

At the same time, I added a can of Tomato puree to makes the rice more moist and savoury. Tomato is rich in vitamins & lycopene which still maintain the level of the nutrients even you have cook it or keep it for long time. I love tomato and anything that is cook using tomato, such as sweet & sour prawns, ABC Corn in Cob soup (mix vegetables), pasta sauces, stew chicken with tomatoes, fish with cherry tomatoes & so on... Do you like "tomato"? If yes, you should give this a try... quick and easy!

Photobucket

Ingredients:
2 cups Rice (washed & soaked)
5 - 6 Tomatoes (cut into pieces)
2 medium Onion (cut into pieces)
1 can Tomato Puree (140gm, I used Duchef Tomato Puree)
2 pc Ginger (Sliced thinly)
4 flakes Garlic (minced)
4 Cloves
1 pc Cinnamon Stick
2 nos Star Anise
3 Cardamons
2 tbsp Butter / Ghee
1 tsp Sugar (Optional)
1 tbsp Cashew nuts (Optional)

Methods:
1. Wash and soak rice for 20 mins in water. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat butter/ghee, fry cloves, cinnamon, star anise & cardamons till fragrant for a minute.
3. Add ginger & garlic. Fry another minute, add in onion. Stir and mix well.
4. Add tomatoes and keep on frying for 2 mins.
5. Pour in rice, keep stir frying for 2 mins. Add in tomato puree. Mix well.
6. Add in some water if the mixture is too thick. About 140ml water.
7. If you find the rice is too sour, add a tsp of sugar and mix well.
8. Transfer rice to rice cooker, fill water to cover the rice. Cook accordingly.
9. Once the rice is cook, fold in cashew nut & serve.

16 Comentários:

pigpigscorner said...

Looks and sounds really tasty! Lovely flavours.

Pearl said...

mmm i think i'd love tomato rice, too!

Food For Tots said...

Tomato is my son's favourite. I must bookmark this recipe. Nice presentation and great shot!

Bits of Life 'n' Taste said...

Hi Ann (ppc), thanks!

Hi Pearl, glad that you love tomato rice too, give it a try!

Hi LK (FFT), thanks friend! Hope your son will love it.

Pam said...

What an incredible rice dish...I love the spices you used. Great photo, like always.

Bits of Life 'n' Taste said...

Thanks Pam.... my pleasure!

Selba said...

Yummm... looks so wonderful :)

Donna-FFW said...

This sounds really delicious. I love your choice of flavors. Gorgeous pictures!!! Nice to meet you. Just found your blog.

Salt N Turmeric said...

I love eating nasi tomato with ayam masak merah. Pair made in heaven! lol.

ICook4Fun said...

I never try tomato rice before. Seeing yours makes me want to cook some too. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Bits of Life 'n' Taste said...

Thanks Selba....

Hi Donna, tks for dropping by!

Hi Jun, you are absolutely right, tomato rice with ayam masak merah... yum yum!

HI Icook4fun, hope you enjoy it! Tks!

Salt N Turmeric said...

psst.. its farina, not jun. lol.

Bits of Life 'n' Taste said...

hahaha... my apology Farina.... Memory chip is overflowed!

limpepsi said...

Your recipe reminds me of My Penang friend, who likes to have cashew nuts in the rice. This is a good combination, my family likes it.
I have never tried Nasi tomato until I came to Norway. My Malay friends introduced this to me. Little bit different from yours, they had raisins in the rice. Maybe this is just for the kids :P

Jessica said...

Hi, when using tomato, wouldn't the skin come off? Can I skip the tomato puree?
Jessica

Bits of Taste said...

Thanks limpepsi! I am so glad to hear that you love tomato rice too... it is simply an authentic dish in Malaysia! I believed those rice with cashew nuts and raisin is Nasi Briyani... that's great too!

Hi Jessica! The tomato skins will come off a little for sure but I think it won't affect the texture so much. You may skip the tomato puree but the rice will not have so much of the tomato taste or "kick". *wink*

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

  Template by Dicas Blogger

TOP