Tomato rice is so appetizing when you dine in a Mamak (Indian Muslim) restaurant serve with your choice of curry, such as Kurma Chicken Curry, mutton curry or beef rendang. We loves tomato rice serve with cashew nuts, the flavour of both brings out the exotic taste and delicious touch.
I wanted to cook tomato rice myself for a long time. So, last weekend I finally give it a try. It was indeed quite simple and easy to cook by using rice cooker. It saves a lot of cooking time too especially we are in a rush preparing lunch for the whole family.
At the same time, I added a can of Tomato puree to makes the rice more moist and savoury. Tomato is rich in vitamins & lycopene which still maintain the level of the nutrients even you have cook it or keep it for long time. I love tomato and anything that is cook using tomato, such as sweet & sour prawns, ABC Corn in Cob soup (mix vegetables), pasta sauces, stew chicken with tomatoes, fish with cherry tomatoes & so on... Do you like "tomato"? If yes, you should give this a try... quick and easy!
2 cups Rice (washed & soaked)
5 - 6 Tomatoes (cut into pieces)
2 medium Onion (cut into pieces)
1 can Tomato Puree (140gm, I used Duchef Tomato Puree)
2 pc Ginger (Sliced thinly)
4 flakes Garlic (minced)
1 pc Cinnamon Stick
2 nos Star Anise
2 tbsp Butter / Ghee
1 tsp Sugar (Optional)
1 tbsp Cashew nuts (Optional)
1. Wash and soak rice for 20 mins in water. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat butter/ghee, fry cloves, cinnamon, star anise & cardamons till fragrant for a minute.
3. Add ginger & garlic. Fry another minute, add in onion. Stir and mix well.
4. Add tomatoes and keep on frying for 2 mins.
5. Pour in rice, keep stir frying for 2 mins. Add in tomato puree. Mix well.
6. Add in some water if the mixture is too thick. About 140ml water.
7. If you find the rice is too sour, add a tsp of sugar and mix well.
8. Transfer rice to rice cooker, fill water to cover the rice. Cook accordingly.
9. Once the rice is cook, fold in cashew nut & serve.