Search Bits of Taste recipes

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Spaghetti Carbonara

Photobucket
I would like to share with all of you one of my all time favourite Italian pasta dish, which is also my first attempt in making it at home. Why I liked it so much? Because I am basically a "Cheese" person, I loved cheese to bits especially in Italian cooking and dishes. Besides, creamy and cheesy dishes will be my top selection especially Italian cooking. It simply tastes fantastic, scrumptious & superb flavour! Need not to say when it comes to spaghetti carbonara that fits the conditions.

Whenever I have a chance to dine in any Italian restaurant including "Pizza Hut", my hubby will definitely know my order will be "Spaghetti Carbonara". It is just one of my all time selection. My hubby is not a fan of pasta, be it with tomato paste or sauce. But after introducing him spaghetti carbonara, he accepted the taste and said "not bad" though! So, why not make it at home and enjoy the meal with family?

Pasta Carbonara or Pasta alla carbonara is a pasta dish served based on eggs, cheese, cream, bacon, ham & black pepper. It gives you a creamy milky fantastic flavour with a touch of cheese. It is usually cook with fatty meat like bacon, stir in olive oil and cheese to make it rich and creamy. It is indeed one of the simple and quick ways of making pasta dish. Reference at wikipedia

I wouldn't know carbonara uses egg yolks as one of the ingredients until I googled and found this simple recipe. It's just so easy and quick. Mix all ingredients, pour onto pasta & meat.... voila! It is ready to be served. Spaghetti carbonara simply tastes good and satisfying and an ideal recipe to be served for party or any occasion. If you do love pasta carbonara, give this a try! It is so satisfying!

Photobucket

This recipe was adapted and modified for my own preference from VideoJug
I have substituted bacon with chicken fillets & sausages for this recipe.

Makes 4

Ingredients:
400g Spaghetti
200g Chicken fillet, cut into small chunks
3 Chicken Cheesy Sausages , cut into small chunks
4 Egg yolks
70g grated Parmesan cheese
8 tbsp Thickened cream
salt and pepper
3 tbsp Italian parsley, chopped
Olive oil

Method:
1. Cook spaghetti in a hot boiling pot with some salt & olive oil according to the cooking instruction on the pack.
2. Season chicken fillets with some salt & black pepper.
3. Meanwhile, heat up some olive oil, sauté chicken fillets until half cooked.
4. Stir in sausages, mix and cook thoroughly. Set aside.
5. Place eggs yolks into a bowl with cheese & cream. Stir and mix well.
6. Once pasta is cooked, drained completely with a colander.
7. Immediately pour pasta to the chicken fillets & sausages, quickly add the eggs mixture while pasta is still hot.
8. It is very important to use the warmth of the pasta to cook the eggs but do not overheat it as it will become scrambled eggs instead.
9. After mixing thoroughly, season with pinch of salt & ground black pepper & chopped parsley. Mix & use a tongs to place a generous helping onto each serving plate. You may add extra ground black pepper if you prefer.
10. It is best to serve immediately when it is warm.



I am submitting this recipe to Presto Pasta Nights, founded by Ruth of Once Upon a Feast, and hosted by The Crispy Cook this round.

27 Comentários:

Kitchen Corner said...

I like Carbonara very much but only can have it once in a blue moon. Your spaghetti really make me hungry!

Rachel said...

Thanks for this tasty contribution to Pasta Presto Nights. Pass the fork!

Bits of Taste said...

Thanks Kitchen Corner! It is really rich so only can have it once in a blue moon... hehe...

Thanks Rachel for having the Presto Pasta Night, it is such a great opportunity to gather all those good food, especially pasta!

Kitchen Flavours said...

Oh wow...love that cheesy sausage touched spaghetti.....very yum....

Food For Tots said...

It is also my favourite! Haven't made it for quite some. Yours look simply marvellous! ;)

Little Corner of Mine said...

Looks great, but very rich for me to cook my own, egg yolks, cheese plus heavy cream....Wow!

Bits of Taste said...

Kitchen Flavours: Thanks! Glad you like it.

F4T: Thanks friend!

LCOM: Thanks! It is indeed very rich! Only can eat it once in a blue moon!

Anonymous said...

This isn't the real carbonara. Chicken and wurstel? terrible.
the real carbonara is with bacon!!!!

Bits of Taste said...

Dear Anonymous,
I totally agreed with you that the authentic spaghetti carbonara uses bacon as one of the key ingredients as shown in the VideoJug in my post. But I personally prefer to subsitute bacon with white meat (chicken) and sausages for my family as it is not so oily and healthier. Thank you for your kind comment!

Amy said...

Hi Alice - thanks so much for stopping by very culinary.

I love spaghetti carbonara and have tried several recipes in the past, with different ingredients. Yours looks really yummy.

I think "Anonymous" was rude. You can alter any recipe and make it your own. Most everything is an adaptation on another, which doesn't necessarily mean it's not authentic. It just means it's not traditional.

Notice they didn't use their name. Weak.

p.s. I love PPN!

daphne said...

What I love is how simple the ingredients are but when combined together, it adds a different dimension. Oh can't forget the cheesy sausages!

Peanutts said...

Never tried cabonara before, looks very simple .

Mummy to QiQi said...

sooo beautiful and professionally decorated la all your food. u really have good talent in food industry. hey, which camera are you using ah? I remember u told me u use just a normal cam, but look at those blury backdrop! wow...

quizzine said...

I like cheesy and creamy pasta too! This gonna be in my *must try list. By the way, i love all your pictures, they always make the dishes look so tantalising ;-)
Cheers,

Ruth Daniels said...

What a lovely version. Thanks for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights. Hope to see you at the roundups often.

Joanne said...

I have actually never had carbonara in a restaurant and have only ever made it at home. I am intrigued by your version with the chicken sausage. What a great idea!

Bits of Taste said...

Amy: Hi, it is my pleasure! Thank you so much!

Daphne: Thanks Daphne! Glad you like it too!

Peanutts: Thanks! Why not give it a try? *wink*

Mummy to QiQi: Thank you so much Chinnee... hehe... I am still a learner though! Yes! I am using a normal digital camera with the help of Photoshop! You can do it too Chinnee... you are a great cook too!

Quizzine: Thanks! Let me know the result... *wink*

Ruth: Thanks Ruth! It is my pleasure to join the Presto Pasta Night! A great way to explore "pasta".

Joanne: Thanks Joanne! I am so glad you like my version.

noobcook said...

I like cheese too! This looks so creamy and rich, yummy!

Bits of Taste said...

Thanks Wiffy (noobcook)!

Craft Passion said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe and photos.... I am hungry after watching it!!! I am a pasta lover but I seldom cook, so I eat restaurant served pasta.... wish that I stay next door to you :)

petite nyonya said...

I was yearning for pasta for dinner tonight. Long story short...I had to settle for rice instead. This spaghetti is making me crave for it now. Looks so yummy!

shervyna said...

Hi,

I have never tried making carbonara before. Your recipe seems so easy to cook and I want to give it a try! As It May I know where to get thicken cream?

Thanks!

Bits of Taste said...

CP : Thanks Joanne! Come over and we can enjoy together!

Petite Nyonya : Thanks! next time you should go for spaghetti instead.

Hi Shervyna, thanks for dropping by! You can get those thickened cream at various of supermarket or hypermarket. I got mine at JUSCO. I'm not sure where are you from. May be you can look at those supermarket or hypermarket at your area.
Hope you like it! Let me know the result! *wink*

shervyna said...

HiHi,

Im from Singapore, and am new to cooking pastas, hence not very familiar with the ingredients.

By the way, I just made banana muffins last night using your recipe and I love it!

Bits of Taste said...

Hi Shervyna, thanks for trying out the banana muffins! I am so glad that you liked it. Singapore is easy to get those ingredients, may be you should try NTUC or Cold Storage! So nice to have you at this young age to explore cooking and baking!

shervyna said...

Hehe,

I have a 15mth old baby..she inspires me to cook and explore more, :)

P.S Why do you say Im young? Haha I did not reveal my age..Not that young anymore with a baby!

Anonymous said...

Nice site, thank you. I really like it!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

  Template by Dicas Blogger

TOP