Search Bits of Taste recipes

Friday, January 29, 2010

Raisin Custard Bun

Photobucket
I always wanted to make some soft and moist buns or bread but I also realized that making bread is quite a tedious job. It needs plenty of experiment to achieve a good result. This round, I am keen to make some buns and I found this recipe from Jodeli Bakery. It was awesome as the ingredients are simple and the methods are easy to follow. This website also has step-by-step pictures to guide you. It makes those novice in making bun or bread much more easier and interesting. I thought making Raisin Custard Bun was a good idea and since buns are also my family all time favourite. Thus, I started reading and digesting each of every steps in this recipe and experiment to achieve a better texture buns. Since I do not have the dedicated dough hook (big hook) which is an important instrument in making bread dough. I need to substitute some hand kneading time to achieve the elastic texture.

In this process, I have learned that kneading time is an important key point in making bread. The dough needs to be elastic but not over knead. Thus, we need to experiment and plenty of practice to achieve that result. Oven temperature also is another important key point in baking bread or bun. Too high temperature will makes the buns tough and also result to hard crust. In the case, we need to adjust the oven temperature accordingly and observe the colour changes on the buns. I would say there is so much to learn and so much to observe in baking bread or bun.

Making bread or bun has become a new challenge for me now as I need to explore and try on variety methods and ways to have a soft and moist texture. Do you like bread making? If yes, do join me and share with me some of your secret! *wink* Happy Baking!

Photobucket

Recipe adapted and modified from Jodelibakery
Makes 12
Ingredients:
390g high protein flour
50g castor sugar
2 tsp instant yeast
1 egg
180ml water
50g butter
Some sunflower oil or greasing

Filling:
60g instant custard powder
100 - 120ml milk (adjust accordingly)
50g raisins

Glaze:
1 egg, lightly beaten

Methods:
1. Soak raisins with sufficient water to cover all the raisin for at least 2 hours in the fridge.
2. Combine flours, castor sugar, instant yeast, water and egg in a mixing bowl. Use dough hook of your mixer to knead the mixture at slow-medium for 10 minutes.
3. Add in butter, continue to knead for 15 mins until dough is elastic, smooth, non-sticky and pull away from the sides of the bowl.
4. Remove the mixing bowl, grease your hands with some oil. Remove the dough from the bowl and place on a kneading surface or board. Start kneading with hands for about 10 - 15 mins, until the dough is elastic. Stretch and pinch up the dough to test if the dough is done, the dough should form a thin membrane before it breaks. (I have to knead by hands because I am using a small dough hooks which didn't give me a satisfying elastic dough result, if you are using specialize bread dough hook, you may skip this step).
5. Grease a stainless steel bowl with some oil, form the dough into a ball, place it in the bowl and cover with a damp cloth. Leave it to proof at room temperature or under the sun for 1 hour or until it is doubled in size.
6. Meanwhile, prepare the custard filling. Whisk instant custard powder and milk in a mixing bowl, you may need to adjust the amount of milk accordingly, pour in milk gradually until the a pudding-like batter is form, the batter shouldn't be watery.
7. Drain raisins and strain well to discard extra water. Set aside.
8. Use your finger tips to test if the dough has fully risen.
9. Punch down the dough with your fist to released gases produced in the proofing process. Rest for 5 mins before shaping.
10. Slightly grease the working surface with some oil. Roll bread dough out to a 15" X 11" rectangle shape. Spread custard on the dough and sprinkle raisins on the custard. Roll the dough up tightly to contain the filling.
11. Using a sharp knife to divide roll into approximately 12 portions. Line the baking tray with baking paper, arrange the dough on the baking tray. Proof buns for 30 - 45 mins or until double in size.
12. Beat up an egg. Glaze the top of bread dough with the egg glaze.
13. Bake in preheated oven at 360ºF for 20 - 25 mins. Do not over bake the buns as it will turn tough. You may need to adjust your oven temperature accordingly. The buns should be lightly golden not brown.
14. Cool buns completely on wire rack. Store in an air-tight container and served within 2 - 3 days.

Tips:
• All ingredients should be at room temperature before use. The best is to proof dough under slightly warm area or under the sun to have it fully risen and doubled in size.
• Do not over baked the buns as it will result in hard and tough buns. Too high temperature of the oven will result in buns with thick and hard crust. You may need to adjust your oven temperature accordingly.
• Adjust the amount of milk for the filling accordingly, you may need to add in the milk gradually to achieve a pudding-like or paste-like custard filling. Stop when you get the pudding-like paste.
• You may need to observe the colour changes of the buns while baking, once it turns to lightly golden colour, adjust to lower temperature or the timing accordingly.
• Kneading time also an important factor, you have to knead the dough until it is elastic and form a thin membrane before it breaks when you stretch and pinch up the dough. This will give you soft buns.
• I have to knead by hands because I am using a small dough hooks which didn't give me a satisfying elastic dough result, if you are using specialize bread dough hook, you may skip step (4).
• To get more tips on this recipe and on how to achieve soft and moist bread, you may browse through the Jodeli Bakery with more step-by-step pictures.

17 Comentários:

Little Corner of Mine said...

Looks good, it looks like peaches. I don't really have the patient to make buns, hahaha... hence haven't been making buns for a long time.

Su-yin said...

These look fabulous - thanks so much for sharing the recipe.

Just discovered your blog via Tastespotting and I love it already. Will be back! :)

Bits of Taste said...

LCOM: Thanks! haha... me too, lack of patient at times but the result is very satisfying!

Su-yin: Thanks for dropping by and your kind words! I am glad to share with you!

Christine said...

Soft and moist buns are my family's favourite too. I think baking buns is an art too. It needs some skills, experience, interest, hard-work and artist sense.
Your buns look gorgeous, love them!

Mary said...

These buns look perfectly delicious to me. Thanks for the recipe and the tips you shared with us. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Lotuspixie said...

Thank you so much for posting this recipe! I made these yesterday morning for breakfast, and they were delicious! Couldn't find custard powder, so I substituted with vanilla instant pudding powder. These just may be my new favorite breakfast buns. Next time I make them, I may sprinkle them with a little bit of coarse sugar after the egg wash and before baking, to give them a little more crunchy sweetness.

Apples and Butter said...

Looks great! The book Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day really helped me when I first started baking bread. I highly recommend it!

Pam said...

They look so delicious - I've never had one of these before.

Food For Tots said...

They look so beautiful and delicious! Another success story in your diary! Can't wait to try it out. ;)

Bits of Taste said...

Christine: Yes Christine! You are right indeed! Baking is an art and creativity leads to satisfaction. Thanks for your kind words!

Mary: Thanks Mary! You too have a wonderful and blessed day!

Lotuspixie: Wow! I am so glad that you tried it out and loving it. You are so creative in baking and your family is so lucky to enjoy your baking! Thanks for the suggestion too!

Apples and Butter: Thanks for the recommendation! I will search for it.

Pam: Thanks Pam! May be you should try!

F4T: Thanks friend! It was indeed a real experiment for me. Thanks for sharing this site to me.

Angeleyes said...

They look so yummylicious!! Same like many others... I don't have the patience to make breads and buns! Lazy mama! :P

noobcook said...

They look superb. I don't even dare to attempt coz my baking skills aren't good. I love custard filling =)

Bits of Taste said...

Thanks Angeleyes.... haha... at times making bun or bread is really time consuming!

Thanks Wiffy... actually I am still learning the tricks of making soft and moist bun or bread. It is really a hard job!

tracieMoo said...

Wow! These little buns look gorgeous! Yummy buns.. I wish I had the time to bake these.. I'm bookmarking this. Thanks for the recipe!

Anonymous said...

nice post. thanks.

Tracey said...

Your raisin buns look amazing! Thanks for sharing this recipe, I will definitely give it a try. Homemade bread is always worth the effort :)

Thanks for stopping by my site! I wanted to respond to your question about instant yeast on the pretzel bites. One package is 2 1/4 teaspoons, which is equivalent to 1/4 ounce or 7 grams. I hope you enjoy them if you give them a shot!

Bits of Taste said...

Thanks Tracie!

Hi Tracey! Thank you so much for dropping by and your reply! I would definitely give it a try! *wink*

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

  Template by Dicas Blogger

TOP