The weather here is extremely unpredictable. It can rains cats and dogs in the morning and hot burning sun in the afternoon or vice versa. With this changes of weather, it really makes us feel sick and also dehydrated at times. I believed by taking in liquid, such as 'soup' is the best nourishment for this season. Soup can re-hydrate our body, pack with nourishment and nutrition, all in one pot. Being a Chinese, soup is one of my all time favourite in my meals. I have introduced them to my little son. Since then, he has fell in love with soup and will have soup almost everyday.
Watercress soup is one of my childhood favourite. I just love the green vegetable soak in the soup with some red dates and wolf berries. We believed watercress can cold down the body temperature and also pack with vitamins and minerals.
500gm Watercress (西洋菜), trimmed leaves and stems to make it shorter
300gm Pork ribs, cut into pieces
2.5 litre Water
10 dried Red dates, pitted
1 tbsp dried Wolf berries, rinsed
Salt to taste
1. Blanch pork with hot boiling water. Drain and set aside.
2. Boil a pot of 2.5 litre water. Bring to the boil.
3. Once it is boiled, add in pork ribs. Simmer at medium heat for 1 hour.
4. Meanwhile, wash and rinse watercress, drain. Rinse and remove red dates seeds.
5. Add watercress and red dates into the pot and simmer at medium heat for 30 mins.
6. Add in wolf berries, simmer for another 5 mins. Add salt to taste.
7. Serve while hot.