Search Bits of Taste recipes

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Watercress Soup

Photobucket

The weather here is extremely unpredictable. It can rains cats and dogs in the morning and hot burning sun in the afternoon or vice versa. With this changes of weather, it really makes us feel sick and also dehydrated at times. I believed by taking in liquid, such as 'soup' is the best nourishment for this season. Soup can re-hydrate our body, pack with nourishment and nutrition, all in one pot. Being a Chinese, soup is one of my all time favourite in my meals. I have introduced them to my little son. Since then, he has fell in love with soup and will have soup almost everyday.

Watercress soup is one of my childhood favourite. I just love the green vegetable soak in the soup with some red dates and wolf berries. We believed watercress can cold down the body temperature and also pack with vitamins and minerals.

Watercress is a member of the cabbage family along with other greens such as mustard greens, kale, kohlrabi, and turnip greens. Watercress offers similar health benefits as kale and collards and can be used in the same way. They provide an excellent source of vitamins B6, C, manganese, and carotene. Greens in the cabbage family have almost three times as much calcium as phosphorus.
Reference from Everynutrient

Watercress is among the most highly nutritious vegetable, many of the great herbalists wrote of the revitalizing power of watercress. The health benefits of watercress are attributed to its nutrient content. Watercress is an excellent source of vitamins B1, B2, B6, C, E, manganese, and carotenes. It also a good source of calcium, fiber, iron and copper. Watercress livens up raw salad and it also makes a valuable juice. Watercress juice is a green juice and must not be consumed alone. It also tastes bitter and is much easier to swallow if mixed with carrot, potato, and a little parsley or carrot, spinach, and turnip leaves. For optimal health benefits, eat watercress raw and as fresh as possible.

Besides, watercress has plenty of health benefits. It is not only good source of fibre but also high in Calcium. By adding watercress in our diet brings us variety of nutrition, nourishment, vitamins, minerals and also savoring a delicious healthy vegetable!

Here are some of the health benefits of watercress:
• Watercress contains anticancer properties.
• Watercress helps protect the eyes because it contains a high level of two carotenoids, lutein and zeaxanthin.
• Watercress helps to normalize cholesterol and blood pressure.
• Watercress increases sexual energy and enhances fertility.
• Watercress can help improved memory, mental function and to retard ageing.
• Watercress is a powerful cleanser of the body, especially the bloodstream.
• Watercress can help increase production of breast milk.
Reference from hubpages

After reading so much of the goodness of watercress, it is worth adding this nutritious vegetable into our cooking & our meals. Watercress can be used for stir-frying, puree, turn it into pesto, juice and many other ways. You can explore and find other interesting mehtods of cooking watercress! Let's be creative and enjoy the goodness of this SUPERB vegetable.
More info about Watercress: Herbs are special


Photobucket

Ingredients:
500gm Watercress (西洋菜), trimmed leaves and stems to make it shorter
300gm Pork ribs, cut into pieces
2.5 litre Water
10 dried Red dates, pitted
1 tbsp dried Wolf berries, rinsed
Salt to taste

Methods:
1. Blanch pork with hot boiling water. Drain and set aside.
2. Boil a pot of 2.5 litre water. Bring to the boil.
3. Once it is boiled, add in pork ribs. Simmer at medium heat for 1 hour.
4. Meanwhile, wash and rinse watercress, drain. Rinse and remove red dates seeds.
5. Add watercress and red dates into the pot and simmer at medium heat for 30 mins.
6. Add in wolf berries, simmer for another 5 mins. Add salt to taste.
7. Serve while hot.

12 Comentários:

Craft Passion said...

Thanks, this is extremely helpful during CNY weather. I should drink more of this as I was a heaty person :p Thanks for the recipe and method :)

♥peachkins♥ said...

What a very healthy looking soup!

noobcook said...

I love watercress soup, so healthy and delicious and "cooling". I love to make mine with chicken :D

Little Corner of Mine said...

Sounds great with all the benefits. I need to cook this soup more often now.

Food For Tots said...

Besides soup, I had tried the "leong sui" version. But I can't take it too often because it has the "cooling" element.

mycookinghut said...

This is also my fav!!! I think I need to make this one day!

Bits of Taste said...

Craft passion: You are most welcome Joanne, hope you and your family will enjoy it.

peachkins: Thanks!

noobcook: Yes Wiffy, it is one of my favourite soup too, very healthy and cooling....

LCOM: Haha.... I think you will...

F4T: Oh! "leong sui"... I haven't try before. May be you can share the recipe to me.

mycookinghut: That's great Lee Mei....

Ju (The Little Teochew) said...

Oooh, very nicely made! So clear. One of my favourite soups any day!

Bits of Taste said...

Thanks Ju, it is indeed our all time favourite! *wink*

tigerfish said...

I love watercress soup too. Wanted to buy some over the weekend but it was out of stock in my supermarket :(

Inspired Momx1 said...

My son and I love this soup too. Like you, I make mine with pork ribs too. yummy! Another family favourite is the old cucumber soup.

Clare @ Mrs Multitasker said...

Ooh this is one of my favorite things to cook ever! Making it this week in fact =)
I usually throw in potatoes and carrots but I must say yours looks oh so pretty.... and I love that bowl!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

  Template by Dicas Blogger

TOP