Search Bits of Taste recipes

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Wok-fried Prawns with Soy Sauce (干煎蝦)

Wok-fried Prawns

I am a seafood lover. I love crabs and prawns to bits, especially stir-fried with chilli, curry leaves and salted eggs. We use to drive all the way to the port area to savour those seafood from the famous and well-known seafood restaurant. Those seafood serves in the restaurant is simply mouth-watering, especially the crabs and prawns! This place is situated in the village area and the seafood restaurant is designed according to the village style. The area is cozy and full of authentic atmosphere. Some of them are over-looking the sea or the esplanade. Isn't it a good place to dine in?

Since I won't be able to make a trip there now. Thus, I cooked myself this simply delicious Wok-fried prawns with soy sauce (干煎蝦) to satisfy my crave! Why wok-fried? Because these prawns are stir-fried in a wok with other ingredients until fragrant! This dish will not has much gravy, it is indeed a dry prawn dish with flavourful taste. It is ready to savour in 10 minutes time. It gives you the bouncy prawns and juicy finger licking good shells too!


I noticed by selecting those fresh prawns from the sea will give you juicier and bouncier texture. Those prawns from the sea have hard shells and whiter & pinkish in colour compared to those rear in the ponds. Thus, to make a delicious, juicy and bouncy prawn dish, you need to select those fresh prawns from the sea. It definitely gives you the crunch bites in the mouth!

Source: Recipe adapted from Flavours Magazine

Ingredients:
1/2 cup cooking oil
500g large prawns, back slit, deveined and marinated with 1 tablespoon sugar
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2-3 tbsps light soy sauce
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp caster sugar
1 tbsp rice wine (I used Shao Xing Rice Wine)
1 tsp tapioca flour, mixed with 3 tsp water
Spring onions & red chilli, sliced thinly

Method:
1. Use a sharp scissors to back slit the prawns and remove the veins. Pat dry and marinate with sugar for 5 mins.
2. Heat up oil in a wok over medium heat. When hot, wok-fry prawns until golden brown and very fragrant but semi-cooked.
3. Remove prawns and leave 3 - 4 tbsps oil in the wok.
4. Saute garlic until fragrant. Add in the semi-cooked prawns, light soy sauce and sugars. Continue stir-frying the prawns over medium heat until they are cooked. Add wine and mix well.
5. Thicken the sauce with tapioca mixture.
6. Remove and garnish with spring onions & red chilli. Serve immediately.

Note:
• Choose fresh prawns from the sea instead of pond rear. It is fresher and bouncier.
• Fresh prawns from the sea are whiter and pinkish in color.
• You may add additional 1 tbsp of Shao Xing Rice Wine if you prefer stronger taste.

16 Comentários:

Little Corner of Mine said...

Delicious! I like the touch of colors in your garnish.

Food For Tots said...

Wow! So yummy! Hey, when are we going to arrange another seafood treat at the port?

Bits of Taste said...

LCOM: Thanks!

F4T: Thanks! Oh yes! I would love too... when are you coming back?

Big Boys Oven said...

wow you featured my favourite dish! I just love prawns done this way! aweomse, will defintely lick my fingers and crave for more!

tigerfish said...

I love this dish too...very very much.

Bits of Taste said...

BBO: Thank you so much!

Tigerfish: me too.... haha....

Peanutts said...

hey thanks for explaining how to devein without removing the shell, I love prawns , nice and easy recipe must try the next time i get nice prawns

Pam said...

What a great dish - the prawns look perfectly cooked.

Bits of Taste said...

Peanutts: Hey! You are most welcome! Hope you like this dish!

Pam: Thanks Pam!

noobcook said...

I love this ... even the spring onions garnishes - I will eat them all up :)

Bits of Taste said...

Noobcook: Thanks Wiffy!

mycookinghut said...

I am a seafood lover too.. I like it that you keep the shells ... :)

Bits of Taste said...

Thanks Lee Mei (mycookinghut)!

Mary said...

This really looks delicious. I need no urging to eat shrimp. I love it and always am looking for new ways to prepare it. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Health Freak Mommy said...

This is our all-time favorite dish too and very simple to prepare too. Did you use chinese cooking wine?

Bits of Taste said...

Mary: That's Mary! You too, have a nice day!

HFM: Oh yes! I used Chinese Shao Xing Wine!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

  Template by Dicas Blogger

TOP