Search Bits of Taste recipes

Monday, June 28, 2010

Japanese Purple Sweet Potatoes

Japanese Purple Sweet Potatoes

Fruits and vegetables in purple colour are high in anti-oxidant and also rich in anthocyanin. Anthocyanins are flavenoid compounds responsible for the beautiful bright purple flesh. Anthocyanins in purple sweet potatoes exhibited memory enhancing effects, which may be associated with its antioxidant properties. Cooking the purple sweet potato increases anthocyanin content by 150% over raw samples.

Japanese Purple Sweet Potatoes

Purple sweet potatoes rank high in nutritional value along with the orange sweet potato. Purple sweet potatoes are a high source of antioxidants from anthocyanins and polyphenolic compounds. They are also a good source of dietary fiber, calcium, iron & complex carbohydrate. Purple sweet potatoes are also very low in fat & sodium. Reference from here

I found these Japanese Purple Sweet potatoes while I was doing my groceries shopping. The desire of eating them had come to my mind and I thought it would be great if I can coax my son to eat these sweet potatoes on its own. At the same time, I can add variety of food colors in my son's diet too. Since, purple sweet potatoes have so much of nutrition, it will be a healthy snack for the whole family. You won't resist something that is sweet, juicy and full of nutrients in it, agree?

Japanese Purple Sweet Potatoes

To my surprised, my family loved them to bits. These purple sweet potatoes are so sweet, appetizing and refreshing especially eat it while warm. I prepared them in the simplest and easiest way, just dumped them in the boiling water and boil until soft and cooked. I want to eat them in the most natural way. The result is superb, we finished all of them in no time. Meanwhile, you can make them into sweet potatoes soup, bake them or add them in the kid's porridge. It is such a versatile and nutritious ingredient, just impose some of your creativity. Enjoy!

Japanese Purple Sweet Potatoes

Ingredients:
4 pieces medium-sized Japanese Purple Sweet Potatoes
Boiling water

Method:
1. Rinsed and clean purple sweet potatoes.
2. Boil a pot of water, make sure it is sufficient to cover the sweet potatoes, about 1 inch above the sweet potatoes.
3. Add in sweet potatoes, boil with high heat for approx. 15 mins or the skin begin to crack open.
4. Use a skewer or chopstick to insert in the thickest part of the sweet potato, if it goes in and comes out easily, it is cooked.
5. Drain, let cool a little. Cut or break in into 2 portions. Peel away skins. Serve while warm. Enjoy!

Note:
• Make sure the water covers all the sweet potatoes.
• The boiling time depends on the size of the sweet potatoes. If the sweet potatoes are bigger in size, it may need more time and water to boil.
• The sweet potatoes are cooked when the skins starting to crack open and it is soft when you touch it. You may need to use your judgement in this.

15 Comentários:

noobcook said...

I read that the more colourful a veg is, the healthier. I have to try these purple sweet potatoes one day :)

tigerfish said...

I usually like to add sweet potatoes in my porridge.

Bits of Taste said...

noobcook: Yes, adding more colourful veggies in our daily diet is healthy and nutritious! You have to try this purple sweet potatoes, they are so appetizing!

tigerfish: I did that for my son too... since he was a baby! *wink*

♥peachkins♥ said...

I love these purple sweet potatoes... specially with butter..

Food For Tots said...

These purple sweet potatoes are not easily available here. They are sweeter and softer than those orange and yellow flesh ones. Good to make porridge and tong sui. Must add some purple colour to my diet too. ;)

Bits of Taste said...

peachkins: Something new for me, eating sweet potatoes with butter, will give it a try!

FFT: Yes LK, it is hard to find, so when I saw it I will quickly grab it. Now is the season, may be you can take a scroll in the market. *wink*

Little Corner of Mine said...

Now I need to go try some purple sweet potatoes. I think I saw it at my Asian store recently too.

Christine@Christine's Recipes said...

We've got some beautiful purple sweet potatoes here too. Love them the most amongst all other kinds of sweet potatoes.

Bits of Taste said...

LCOM: haha.... try and savor the goodness!

Christine: Yes Christine, me too. I find purple sweet potatoes are sweeter and more flavourful.

cariso said...

I love this Jap purple sweet potatoes too!

Mary said...

I have never seen these potatoes in my local markets, but will stay alert and buy them when they are available. I loved the nutritional information you provided. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Chef Dennis said...

wow...those potatoes look so very good!! now I have to find them!
thanks so much for sharing
Dennisw

Bits of Taste said...

Cariso: Thank you so much!

Mary: Thanks Mary! Glad you like it.

Chef Dennis: Thanks!

Mei Teng said...

I am a big fan of sweet potatoes.

Bits of Taste said...

That's great Mei Teng... you can give it a try!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

  Template by Dicas Blogger

TOP