Search Bits of Taste recipes

Friday, September 24, 2010

Sweet Sauce for Yam Cake

Sweet Sauce

Yam cake is my all time favourite Chinese traditional snack. I can't resist the temptation of getting some of it if I stumble upon them. Yam cake is serve with a type of sweet sauce, usually homemade during my childhood time. Nowadays, this sweet sauce has been commercialize, many of the food hawker or cafe purchase this sauce from pre-packed supplier, which didn't taste as good as the homemade sauce.

I made this yam cake for few times and I just love this recipe which is "zero failure" with satisfying texture. Hop over to my previous post on this yam cake here. Last week, I made this yam cake again (see note) and was craving for the sweet sauce that serve together with the yam cake. It is definitely a good companion if I can have the homemade yam cake with homemade sweet sauce. Agreed?

Thus, I googled for the sweet sauce recipe but leads me to no where. I can't get a perfect recipe that makes a simple and traditional sweet sauce for yam cake. Hence, from all the information I have gathered, I put on my thinking hat and some information that I recalled from my late grandma, I began to experiment. Started with mixing, blending, adding, stirring, testing and repeat the process again until I achieved the taste and consistency that fit my requirement.

The sweet sauce came out to be quite close to those homemade sauce selling by the food hawkers. I have never imagine it is so easy and simple to make this sauce at home. All of us enjoyed the yam cake with this sweet sauce and finished the whole tray of yam cake. *wink*

Sweet Sauce

This sweet sauce is made from simple ingredients which you can find them easily. The combination of beans paste 豆酱 (doujiang - in Chinese language), sugar, water, light soy sauce, dark soy sauce and corn flour give you a delicious homemade sweet sauce whenever you need it. This sweet sauce also suitable for dim sum, steamed radish cake, steamed/fried dumplings, fried radish cake, chee cheong fun or yong tau foo (stuffed vegetable with fish paste). If you too want some homemade sweet sauce for any dessert or snack next time, give this recipe a try! You may adjust the ingredients in this recipe to suits your own preference and taste.

RECIPE FOR SWEET SAUCE

This recipe is based on my own preference. The sauce is sufficient for 8" round tray of yam cake.


Ingredients:
2 tbsp Taucheo (fermented soy beans paste / 豆酱)
300ml of water
1/2 cup White Sugar
4 tsp Cornflour + 4 tbsp water (mix well)
1 tbsp Premium Light Soy Sauce
3 tbsp Premium Dark Soy Sauce

Method:
1. Put Taucheo with water in a food proccessor. Blend well.
2. Pour Taucheo paste in a sauce pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce to low fire.
3. Add in sugar, stir and mix well under low fire about 10 mins.
4. Add in cornflour mixture and stir well. Add in dark soy sauce and light soy sauce.
5. Simmer under low fire and stir occasionally until the sauce is thicken.

Note:
• This time I didn't add in the pre-fried dried shrimp and fried shallot into the yam cake, instead I used them for topping.
• You may use either smooth or chunky bean paste. I used smooth version.
• Adjust the amount of corn flour to achieve the desired thickness.
• Adjust the amount of sugar according to your taste. You may substitute white sugar with brown sugar.
• Simmer under low fire, stir occasionally until sauce is thicken.
• The sauce shouldn't be too watery nor too thick. Check the consistancy of the sauce from time to time.

Info on Bean Paste - from WISEGEEK

12 Comentários:

tigerfish said...

The sweet sauce for yam cake is almost similar to the sweet sauce for Yong Tau Foo? Is it not?

♥peachkins♥ said...

This is a very intersting dish. i don't think I've tried something like it..

Little Corner of Mine said...

Great! Now I know where to look for if I want a sweet sauce for my yam or turnip cake. Thanks!

mycookinghut said...

Yum.. the sauce looks good! Is this the same kind of sauce for duck with pancake, do you think?

Food For Tots said...

I'm a great fan for yam cake. (*Hint*: Psss! Remember to bring your signature yam cake plus this yummy sweet sauce for me when we meet this October). ;)

Bits of Taste said...

tigerfish: Yes! It is almost similar....

peachkins: Thanks! Give it a try!

LCOM: You are most welcome! Glad you like it.

mycookinghut: Thanks Lee Mei... I am not sure how does the sauce for duck with pancake tastes like. You may give it a try! *wink*

FFT: Haha.... *wink*

noobcook said...

wah even sauce also home-made. looks very good!

KidsDreamWork said...

This looks so delicious! I'm drooling now!

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say thanks for the recipe. I have made it several times now, it is good and taste very close to store bought version. I have used it for yam cake as well as yong tofu.

Bits of Taste said...

Anonymous: Thank you so much for trying out the sauce, I am overjoyed to hear that you like it. Have a nice day!

Ling said...

Hi,

I tried out your recipe for sweet sauce yesterday to go with my yam cake. It was so simple and yet so good! I made a slight change to the recipe: reduce the amt of sugar and dark soy sauce.

Thanks for sharing this! Nothing beats home-made food. :)

Bits of Taste said...

Thank you Ling for dropping by and trying out this recipe! I'm so glad you liked it! Yes! Nothing beats home-cooked food.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

  Template by Dicas Blogger

TOP