Search Bits of Taste recipes

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Fish ball Vegetable Soup

Fish ball soup

This fish ball vegetable soup is one of the most simple and quick recipe I made when I am running out of time to whip up a meal for the family. As a working mum, I intend to opt for quick and easy recipe which do not require much preparation and cooking time during weekdays. At times, I am running out of idea on what to cook for dinner during the weekdays. I guess this is a norm for the working mom out there too? Simple soup did safe my day especially during the cold season.

To make this soup more nutritious, you may also buy those fresh homemade fish balls selling in the market or make the fish paste from scratch at home and keep them for rainy days! Sound great isn't it? If you are looking for a good recipe on how to make homemade fish paste/ball, hop on to my good friend's foodblog on how she masters her mother-in-laws homemade fish paste recipe. Proudly presenting to you Food4tots on How to make smooth springy fish paste. I would indeed try her recipe when I have more time and keep them for rainy days in the future.

Back to this quick and simple soup. It is not only quick to cook and prepare, it is also a nutritious soup to coax your little ones to consume vegetables. My son loves to eat those tomatoes in the soup together with the rice, and need not to say he is a fish ball lover too. You may substitute the chicken stock with vegetable stock or fish stock. This recipe is simply versatile according to your taste-bud. Since, this recipe is so versatile, you can prepare the stock beforehand and freeze it for quick use. Another helpful and simple recipe for those working mum, hope you enjoy it.

Ingredients:
10 pcs fresh fish balls
2 tomatoes, quartered - remove seeds
1 bunch green vegetable (I used Chinese green lettuce -yau mak)
1 cloves garlic, minced
Sunflower oil

Seasoning:
600ml chicken stock
Salt & pepper to taste

Method:
1. Wash and rinse the green vegetable stalk by stalk. Drain and set aside.
2. Rinse fish balls, make a cross mark on the fish balls. Set aside.
3. Heat up 2 tablespoons of oil, saute garlic till fragrant, but don't brown it.
4. Pour in chicken stock. Bring to the boil. Reduce to medium fire.
5. Add in tomatoes, simmer until tomato is half soften.
6. Add in fish balls and green vegetable. Simmer for 5 mins.
7. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm.

Note:
• The cross mark makes on the fish ball is only for beautifying purpose.
• Choose good quality fresh fish balls from the market or homemade fish paste for better taste.
• You may use fish stock or vegetable stock besides chicken stock.
• You may substitute other vegetables such as, carrot, bean sprout, spinach, cauliflower, broccoli or asparagus.
• Some other vegetable like carrot, cauliflower, broccoli or asparagus need blanching before use.

13 Comentários:

Little Inbox said...

I cooked the similar fish balls soup with lettuce and tomato too.
I've been wanted to make own fish balls at home, and just visited LK's site to learn the steps. :)

Food For Tots said...

Thanks for your kind mention. I still haven't mastered my MIL's skill in making fish balls yet. Your delish soup works not only for working mom but lazy SAHM like me too. Hehehe!

Little Corner of Mine said...

I like how you crisscross the fish balls, I never thought of that. I will try it next time. :)

Bits of Taste said...

LI: You got the right site!

F4T: Soon you can master her skill in making fish balls. haha...

LCOM: Thanks! Just a little tricks!

tigerfish said...

If you can get fresh fishballs from the wet market, that is good enough. I cannot find any decent ones here. Only frozen ones such as Dodo.

homeladychef said...

I love the simplicity of it that calls 'mummy!" No frills dish indeed. ;) I like your idea to ccrisscross the fish balls too!

Indie.Tea said...

I love those simpler 'weeknight' dishes. This one sounds perfect for it...and I could use some soup.

Bits of Taste said...

tigerfish: oh yes! But I still prefer if I can have homemade fish balls... it makes this soup tastier! haha...

homelady chef: thanks!

indie.tea: thank you so much!

Mary said...

This looks delicious. I'm unable to purchase fish balls in the area where I live. I'll Have to learn to make them :-). It will be worth the effort. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

noobcook said...

comfort food indeed :p

Anonymous said...

Hello there,

I have a inquiry for the webmaster/admin here at bits-of-taste.blogspot.com.

May I use part of the information from this blog post above if I give a backlink back to this site?

Thanks,
Alex

Bits of Taste said...

Thanks Mary, thanks Wiffy (noobcook)

Bits of Taste said...

Hi Alex,

Thanks for visiting my blog and it is my pleasure that you find the info above useful. You may use part of the info for genuine reference purposes and backlink to my post. Regards.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

  Template by Dicas Blogger

TOP