Search Bits of Taste recipes

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Nutritious Fish Soup

fish soup

This is another nutritious fish soup I whipped up for my family. Since I have some left over salmon fish bones, I think making a nutritious soup from all these bones is the best. Especially for my growing up son which needs a lot of calcium, Omega 3, DHA and EPA. Making this fish soup is simply easy and delicious. We prefer plenty of vegetables in our soup, thus it is the best to use it for ABC soup (mixed vegetables soup). I added few slices of fresh ginger to cover some fishy smell.

This soup is indeed nutritious, delicious and versatile. You may replace with your favourite vegetables in this recipe. I added some macaroni in the left over soup and it makes a great lunch for my little boy. As for myself, I would have this soup alone to replace heavy lunch as part of my healthy diet plan, *wink* need to shed off some pound now as the weighing scale needle is shooting up! *sigh*

Besides, having a warm fish soup is so comforting especially during the cold season. If you too need a bowl of warm nutritious soup, you may want to give this a try! Sit back, relax and enjoy!


fish soup

Ingredients:
Fish bones (about 200-300gm) (I used Salmon fish bones)
1.2 liter of water
5 slices of fresh ginger
1 stalk of celery, chopped
1 medium-sized carrot, cut into small chunks
1 large US potato, cut into small chunks
1 large tomato, quartered - remove seeds
1 handful of fresh coriander leaves
Salt to taste

Method:
1. Bring water to a boil. Add in ginger and fish bones. Bring it to a boil again, then turn to low heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
2. Drain the fish soup, transfer to another pot. (make sure there is no bones left behind)
3. Bring to boil again, add in all the ingredients except coriander leaves.
4. Simmer under low heat for another 15 mins or until the ingredients are soften.
5. Add in coriander leaves towards the last 5 mins. Add salt to taste.
6. Serve while warm, re-heat if the soup turns cold.

Note:
• Use salmon fish bones give more sweetness and nutrients to the soup.
• You may use salmon fish head.
• You may also add yellow onion or fresh herbs to enhance the soup.

14 Comentários:

peachkins said...

Thanks for the recipe. I'll also make that for my daughter...

Christine@Christine's Recipes said...

I also like to use Salmon fish bones to cook soup. It's cheap but gives us lots of nutrients. Your soup is my fave.

Food For Tots said...

There are plenty of fresh salmon bones available at NTUC. The only problem is I need to get there on time before they are all gone from the shelve. lol! I usually used them to make my miso soup base. Yours looks so yummy!!

pigpigscorner said...

Interesting use of fish bones, never thought of that!!

Little Corner of Mine said...

How come your fish soup is not white in color? Normally the fish soup either from the bone or flesh will give a white color soup and not clear. At least that's what I understand. :P

mycookinghut said...

Looks nice!

Bits of Taste said...

peachkins: Thanks! Hope your daughter like it.

Christine: So glad you also like Salmon fish soup! I saw yours is great too....

FFT: So nice in SG! Here is pretty expensive! Thanks!

PPC: Thanks! You should give it a try!

Thanks Lee Mei !

Bits of Taste said...

Hi LCOM, do you mean milky white? From my own understanding, by using salmon bones, the color of the soup will not be white. From my observation, it is still clear but a bit cloudy. Can you tell me what fish bones are you referring to? Are they adding any other ingredients like milk, double cream?
Below are the links I found for salmon fish soup and images.

http://www.grouprecipes.com/73117/easy-and-delicious-fish-soup.html

http://www.beyondsalmon.com/2007/02/technique-of-week-how-to-make-fish.html

http://www.islandchef.ca/2010/12/fish-atock/

Anonymous said...

Just need to cook the bones for 15 mins only? I always thought must simmer for more than 2 hours..

Bits of Taste said...

Hi anonymous,
Thank you for your comment. There are many varieties in cooking fish soup. As I always prefer something quick and easy for home cook food, the Western approach of making fish soup which normally do not require a long cooking time is one of my favourite. Cooking fish stock for longer period will spoils the flavour and overboiling will also cause the stock to pick up unpleasant fishy taste. Hope this is useful.

Some of reference for guidance:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stock_(food)
http://cookeatshare.com/recipes/fish-stock-161582
http://www.soupsong.com/bstock.html

muppy said...

I have never made a fish soup as i am not really a soup lover but this does look so light and healthy and nutritious - all of which i should be eating ;)

Pam said...

Mmmm. It looks and sounds delicious.

Anncoo said...

I also like to buy salmon fish bones and heads from a Japanese restaurant here. They are really cheap and fresh. Same as FFT I also used for miso soup too :)

PapaCheong's 拿手好菜 said...

Very nice! I would like to try it soon!

PapaCheong
http://home-cook-dishes-for-family.blogspot.com/

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

  Template by Dicas Blogger

TOP