Search Bits of Taste recipes

Friday, March 30, 2012

Baked Pandan Chicken


Pandan Chicken (Screwpine leave Chicken) is one of my family favourites. They love this dish to bits and can't resist the temptation of taking few bites whenever we stumbled upon this irresistible dish. Pandan chicken is basically marinated chicken wrapped with screwpine leave and deep fry. It creates a kind of juicy and crispy chicken texture with the aromatic screwpine flavour.


Since we love them to bits, thus it inspired me to cook it at home. But, I would like to make it healthier by baking it instead of deep frying. Without wasting much time, I grabbed a pair of scissor and snipped off some of the screwpine leaves which I have planted long time ago. It is good to have them in hand whenever we needed them. Screwpine grows easily in Asia and can be found at most of the household as it is one of the familiar ingredients used in Asian cooking. It is such a versatile plant which can be use in various type of recipes such as dessert, cakes, pudding, jelly, drinks, muffins, steamed bun, cookies, bread and many more. Apart from using them in your cooking, it is believe that drinking boiled screwpine juice frequently can reduce gout symptoms. (read more from this website).

This pandan chicken absolutely tackle the appetite of my family. The fragrant smell of the screwpine from the oven gives you the mouth-watering sensation while waiting for the chicken to cooked. The preparation is so simple and easy, you just need to master the technique of wrapping the chicken with the screwpine leaves. I believe you can master it too with few trials as this was my first attempt in wrapping chicken with screwpine leaves. With this useful
video tutorial
from this Mommy helps me to master the correct way to wrap this chicken. Thank you so much for this video tutorial. Give it a try and surprise your family or guests with this aromatic chicken!


Ingredients:
12 pieces of chicken (cut about 1.5 X 1.5 inches from chicken thigh - remove skin & bones)
12 pandan (screwpine) leaves (get those long and big leaves)

Marinade (adjust to your taste):
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
3 dashes white pepper powder
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon fish sauce
3 inches fresh ginger (grated and squeezed for juice)

Method:
1. Prepare chicken, marinate chicken with the marinade ingredients in the fridge for at least 30mins.
2. Wash and clean pandan leaves and leave to dry.
3. Remove chicken from the fridge and leave on room temperature for 5 mins.
4. Wrap the chicken with pandan leaves. (See step-by-step tutorial from this Mommy's video tutorial)
5. Arrange them in an oven-proof dish then drizzle some oil. Pre-heat oven at 200ºC for 10 mins.
6. Bake chicken for 25 - 30 mins or until chicken is cooked and turn golden brown.
7. You may also deep fry the chicken. Drain the oil, put it on the kitchen towel to absorb oil, then serve.

9 Comentários:

Selba said...

Wow.. I'm really impressed with the first picture!!! Beautiful!!!

Btw, this is of my favorite food in Thai restaurant.

Little Corner of Mine said...

I loved pandan chicken too. I liked that you baked it instead of deep-fried the chicken. I wish I can just go to my backyard and cut some fresh pandan leaves to use.

Food For Tots said...

Your wrap is really pro! If you never mention that they're baked, I still thought that they're deep-fried. I love this healthy version. Looks really tempting and finger-look'g good! ;)

Bits of Taste said...

Selba: Thank you so much!!!

LCOM: Thank you LCOM! Hope you can make some too!

FFT: Thank you my dear friend, hope your bosses like it too!

noobcook said...

looks really good, I love this dish. the baked version is fuss free and easy to clean up :)

hanushi said...

You have wrapped each so nicely and beautifully! I can imagine the fragrance of this dish! :)

Health Freak Mommy said...

I love pandan chicken too. You made those pandan chicken in the pix? Not only do they look tasty but the photography is very pro too!

Bits of Taste said...

noobcook: Thank you! You are right!

hanushi: Thank you so much!

HFM: Yes Shireen! You can try it too! Thank you so much!

tigerfish said...

I like that it is baked! But it is not easy to get pandan leaf in the US. :(

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

  Template by Dicas Blogger

TOP