Search Bits of Taste recipes

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Custard Cookies

Hi there! Time really flies..... it has entered into the 2nd month of the year 2013! I still remember we were preparing for Christmas and New Year count down past few months, now with a blink of an eye, the Chinese New Year is on the way! For those who celebrating CNY, how is your preparation? I can feel the slowing down in Facebook, blogging and Twitting as a result of busy getting ready for CNY.

As I wanted to join in the fun of baking, especially the thrill of making cookies, tarts and all sort of traditional pastry I was inspired to make this custard cookies which I find it easy to follow! This is my first attempt into making this type of cookie, which require piping from cookie nozzle and I would say it is pretty time consuming especially for a first timer. But, the end result and the joy of making it outbid all the hard work! As practice makes prefect, the more I piped, the pattern of the cookies become prettier and nicer. The tips of today - always press it lightly and leave the nozzle up as fast as possible. If you press too hard or down, the pattern from the nozzle will get less prominent and the cookie will becomes flatter. Hop over to this blogger's site for more pictures of making this cookies and the correct piping nozzle for this cookie.

According to this blogger, these custard cookies are simply awesome and definitely is the type of custard cookies that she has been hunting for all this while. I do agreed with her, the cookie has buttery taste and melts in the mouth, giving you that kind of simple, traditional yet tasty feeling.

Need my conclusion for this recipe? My family loves it to bits especially my son and even my Mother in law. My son has been munching the cookies almost everyday and requested us to pack it for school. I gave some to my friend's daughter and she came back asking for more! I am very pleased by all these compliments and will definitely make this again! Do try this yourself and I am sure you will love it too!

Till then, wishing all who celebrate
Chinese New Year [ The Year of Snake ] a happy, prosperous, auspicious, healthy and joyous Chinese New Year!


Recipe adapted from My Lemony Kitchen

(makes approximately 70 pieces)
Ingredients:
150g margarine
80g icing sugar
50g cornflour
80g custard powder
120g plain flour
1 egg yolk
glaze cherries - chopped (I bought ready-chopped cherries)

Method:
1. Heat up a dry wok over low fire, fry the cornflour, plain flour and custard powder until the mixture is light and leaves the side of the wok. Set aside to cool. (Do not over fry the flour)
2. Beat the margarine and sugar with a stand mixer until creamy.
3. Add in the egg yolk and beat the mixture until well combine.
4. Add in flour bit by bit and mix well.
5. Pre-heat oven to 120ºC. Line a baking tray with baking paper. (You may use non-stick baking tray)
6. Fill in batter into the cookie pump by using the cookies nozzle to pressed out the dough onto the baking paper.
7. Top with cherries and bake for 15-20 minutes.

Note:
• Get the correct cookie piping nozzle for this cookie.
• Keep cookies in airtight container.

3 Comentários:

Lisa H. said...

Awesome :D
Your Samperit looks good :) n thanks for the shout out...

Gong Xi Fa Cai to you n family

Cheers

Food For Tots said...

Wow! They look so pretty!! Yes, definitely that kinda traditional cookies I fond of. Courier some to me, please. ;)

Bits of Taste said...

Thanks Lisa for the compliment and thanks for this great recipe!

Thanks LK! It is all gone by now! haha... will definitely treat you if I happen to make again!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

  Template by Dicas Blogger

TOP