Search Bits of Taste recipes

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Black Pepper Chicken


Good day peeps! It has been a sunny day today while I am enjoying my breakfast with a cup of hot coffee. Such a great start ahead, how about yours? It has been always a busy day for me, juggling between work and home, but during this school holiday we took a break in Penang, my all time favourite relaxing island. And a foodie place too! Need not to say the weighing scale is rising up! (laugh). We didn't take a lot of photos this round instead we strolled around the town to hunt for food. Oh dear, how I love Penang food especially the "Assam Laksa" & "Fried Kuey Teow". If you happen to visit the Penang Island, you will surely agree with me of those authentic and delicious Penang food and not forgetting the beautiful seasides.

Back to my today's special which I would like to share with all of you. The black pepper chicken! I got this recipe from my husband's uncle who is a Eurasian. He is such a good cook and love to whip up good food for his family. He cooked this dish for us during our visit few years back and I have to admit it was delicious. This recipe is his own creation and it is a-must-try recipe! Thus, I cooked this dish for my family last weekend for dinner and all of us love it to bits!


If you are a big fan of black pepper and the kick of it, you will surely like this dish! You may add more of the grounded black pepper according to your taste bud. He also topped this dish with fried potato chips, homemade! It is just a prefect combination! Alright peeps, till then I got to get back to work. Have a nice day!

Ingredients:
1 whole chicken, cut into 12 pieces
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 yellow onion, sliced
1 tbsp frozen mixed beans (carrot, peas, corn)

Seasoning sauce:
1 tbsp light soy sauce
2 tbsp black soy sauce
2 tbsp Lea & Perrin sauce
2 tbsp Maggie Seasoning sauce
2 tbsp ground black pepper
1 tbsp ground white pepper
1 cup of water

Thickener (optional):
1 tsp of Cornflour
5 tbsp of water

Method:
1. Thaw the mix beans and blanch with hot boiled water for 30 seconds, drain and set aside.
2. Heat up wok with 1/2 cup of oil, fry the chicken until half cooked. Drain and set aside.
3. Use 2 tbsp of the remaining oil, saute garlic and onion until fragrant.
4. Add in the chicken and seasoning sauce. Stir and mix well.
5. Add in extra water to cover the chicken (make sure the water is enough to cover the chicken). Close the wok with lid and simmer until the sauce reduce to half and begin to thicken. (about 20 mins)
6. Add in the thickener and mixed beans, mix well. Dish up and serve.

Note:
• The amount of black pepper is vary depending on personal taste bud. You may add or reduce the amount stated.
• If the gravy has become thick enough, you may omit the Thickener.
• You may make some homemade fried potato chips to complement this dish. Just rinse 2 big US Russet potatoes, pat dry then slice it thinly, rub in some salt. Heat up 1/2 cup of oil, deep fry it batch by batch until crispy. You may need to eat the potato chips immediately to prevent it to get soften. Enjoy!

3 Comentários:

myfoodmythots said...

May I ask if there is a substitute for maggi seasoning sauce?

Food For Tots said...

Yeah, I love the extra kick and bet this dish will be another favourite of mine soon. I miss Penang food too especially my mom's homecooked food. :)

Caramella said...

Deliciuos! I love your recipe for mushi-pan!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

  Template by Dicas Blogger

TOP